CHARLOTTE, N.C., June 20, 2023 — Campus Pride joins LGBTQ+ communities around the country in celebrating Pride month and honoring its history.
“We are often reminded that Pride began as a protest. This year, that reminder has been brought home for many of us, with the surge in anti-LGBTQ legislation and attitudes,” said Campus Pride Founder, CEO and Executive Director Shane Mendez Windmeyer. “But Pride brings out our allies—especially this year—and we are moved to find our Pride events surrounded by supporters who are more vocal and committed than ever.”
At Campus Pride, we’re recognizing Pride by:
- Participating in Give OUT Day, the only global day of giving for the LGBTQ+ community. Each year, LGBTQ+ organizations raise funds on the Give OUT Day platform, competing for an opportunity to win $10,000 on June 28. Awards go to organizations with the most individual donors in their category, so this is a time when small donations can make a big impact!
- Raising awareness by sharing “The Rising Tide: LGBTQ+ in 2023.” This new 15-minute documentary created by Beth Starling, a student filmmaker at the University of North Carolina Asheville, draws attention to the current onslaught of anti-LGBTQ bills and the horrific impact they are having on LGBTQ+ lives and features insights from Campus Pride Founder, CEO and Executive Director Shane Mendez Windmeyer.
- Welcoming our cohort of summer interns. Our interns come from colleges and universities across the United States, where they are in undergraduate and graduate programs. This internship provides them with opportunities to observe and participate in substantive work and develop resources to support student leaders across the United States.
- Satisfying our cookie cravings with Insomnia Cookies. What hits the spot better than an Insomnia cookie? A Pride 12-pack of Insomnia Cookies, in all your favorite classic flavors! $2 from every pack sold benefits the work of Campus Pride.
- Partnering with The Little Words Project. The “Be Yourself” beaded bracelet offers a chance to show your pride colors—and support LGBTQ+ students at colleges and universities—for just $25. A percentage of proceeds will fund programs at Campus Pride.
- Launching a call for stories of trans joy. Given the sharp rise in anti-transgender legislation and rhetoric, trans joy is a form of resistance and more important than ever. Sharing stories of celebration and hope helps to counter the negative stories we hear every day and reminds ourselves and others that trans people cannot and will not be erased.
- Continuing registration for Camp Pride. Camp Pride is the nation’s premiere LGBTQ+ leadership academy for undergraduate LGBTQ+ and ally students—and it’s back in person this year! Registration is also still open for the concurrent Advisor Academy for graduate students, advisors, faculty/staff and other professionals who support LGBTQ+ college students. Camp Pride registration is open until July 3 and there are still scholarships available!
- Celebrating our ongoing partnership with Victoria’s Secret PINK. PINK provides funding for several Campus Pride programs—including scholarships for Camp Pride.
This month and every month, Campus Pride is committed to supporting LGBTQ+ college and university students and working with them—and our organizational partners—to build a safer, more affirming world in which we can all show our pride, year round.
# # #
ABOUT CAMPUS PRIDE
Since 2001, Campus Pride has been the leading national organization dedicated to building future LGBTQ and ally leaders and creating safer communities at colleges and universities. Learn more at CampusPride.org.