Camp Pride LGBTQ Summer Leadership Academy
Let’s go to camp!! Now you can develop friendships for a lifetime with other LGBTQ and ally college students, build your social justice and leadership skills, and take action as a social justice advocate for a safer and more inclusive campus.
Camp is for you if you want:
- A phenomenal leadership and personal growth experience inclusive of gender identity/expression and sexual orientation.
- Key leadership concepts to becoming a stronger LGBTQ or ally leader.
- Effective strategies and skill training for grassroots coalition building.
- Access to premiere faculty and national leaders in social justice, human rights and civil rights advocacy.
- Successful campus organizing practices and the chance to explore challenges confronting your campus.
- Helpful resources and innovative tools from national organizations.
- A personal action plan for your campus to become more LGBTQ-friendly.
- Opportunity to connect and work with peer student leaders from across the country.
- An inclusive approach celebrating diversity and motivating others.
- An open, safe environment to express yourself.
- Fun, entertainment and lasting relationships.
What To Bring
- No formal attire required. Wear orange and purple if you have it!
- Hoodie, cardigan, light jacket (weather and temperatures vary)
- Comfortable footwear
- Shampoo, soap, personal hygiene supplies, etc.
- Sunscreen and/or bug spray
- Any personal prescription medicationsConsider bringing your campus LGBTQ & ally resources to exchange (approx 50 total, if possible)
Towels, sheets, blankets, and pillows will be provided
Check the weather for CLT before you leave. Summers are usually warm, rainy and humid
All meals are provided and dietary restrictions will be accommodated according to your registration
Full and partial scholarships are available on a limited-bases. First priority consideration is April 15, 2018 and rolling thereafter. Applicants who have already registered and paid will be refunded any scholarship monies at the time of the event. Due to a limited capacity, we do encourage you to register ASAP. Campus Pride seeks a diverse cohort of student leaders/advisors and these scholarships assist in this commitment across race, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, socio-economic and geographical boundaries. Learn more.
The mission of the Campus Pride Summer Leadership Academy is to build leadership capacity among LGBTQ and ally undergraduate college student leaders and to create safer and more inclusive campus communities in the United States.
Undergraduate LGBTQ & ally student leaders at colleges and universities across the United States.
Camp Learning Outcomes
- Identify and describe components of their own identities that give them power and privilege as citizens and leaders in our society.
- Discuss ways in which queer or ally leaders fit into queer contexts and communities working to create positive change.
- Identify key resources and best practices available to create and implement a more inclusive and safe campus
- Apply leadership skills to create change on their home campuses and equip them to be social justice advocates for life (in places of worship, workplace, larger community).
- Identify and work with a network of peer and national leaders.
- Present current and emerging issues impacting queer communities in the United States.