Hate preachers thrive on attention and publicity. They use provocative language in an attempt to ‘hook’ people. They frequently press charges and fund their homophobic campaigns by winning lawsuits.
Some effective strategies that others have used include:
- Ignore the haters completely. Do not give them any media attention.
- Do NOT touch any of the haters. Some of these groups fund themselves by claiming they were ‘touched.’
- Conduct a positive campaign of rainbow ribbons, buttons, banners – ‘Not in R House.”
- Form a ‘moving circle of love’ – surrounding haters. Hide them!
- Counter-schedule another ‘unity’ event at the same time.
- Create a fundraiser for a positive group on campus. Every time the haters use words like ‘fag’ have pledgers donate a $1.
- Use the ‘Angels’ strategy used by allies at Matthew Shepard’s funeral. People wear white gowns and construct HUGE angel wings to wear. They stand with their backs silently to the protesters and ‘block’ the hater signs.
- Play music like “I’m coming out” and dance around them.
- Grab a bunch of people and have a same-gender kiss-in all around the protesters.
Published from UC Santa Cruz Hate/Bias Peer Response Team and The Consortium of Directors of LGBT Resources in Higher Education.