Sample Greek Ally Commitment
I, ____________________________, after completing the Greek Ally training agree to serve as an ally for the [name of college or university] campus and Greek communities. I understand that being an ally means that I agree to prominently display the Greek Ally pin/sticker; offer support to those who seek me out as an ally; refer those who need resources; and admit that I don’t know everything about LGBTQ people but will learn and understand as much as possible.
- Have an open mind about other people’s beliefs, values and choices
- Educate myself and those around me who may have misinformation about the LGBTQ community
- To participate in at least LGBTQ events or educational opportunities annually
- Challenge those who express homophia/transphobia or heterosexism/transgenderism
- Be a good listener and not feel like I have to “fix” problems
- Maintain confidentiality of those who seek me out as an ally
- Work toward providing a safe, inclusive and welcoming environment for LGBTQ persons within the campus and Greek community
- Provide resource, support and referral information on LGBTQ issues
- Refer to crisis intervention services or the appropriate campus office or program if a student is experiencing a crisis or harassment
- To treat everyone with the dignity and respect they deserve
- As a Greek Ally I also have the right to:
- Not know all of the answers
- To struggle with issues and to be honest about my feelings
- To get support when needed
- Refer to counseling services when I don’t feel comfortable with a situation
- Choose not to be a participant in the program without fear of embarrassment or harassment
Greek Chapter Email
[ ] Yes, I would like to have my name listed as a Greek Ally on the program’s publications and/or website.
[ ] No, please don’t list my name as a Greek Ally on publications and/or website.
Adapted with permission from University of Oklahoma’s Greek Ally Commitment.