Sunday, June 28, 2020 – Charlotte, NC — Today we express our unequivocal support for the #BLACKLIVESMATTER statement written by Charlotte Black Pride and signed onto by 40+ Charlotte LGBTQ+ community organizations. Campus Pride stands united in solidarity with the #BLACKLIVESMATTER Movement in our local community and nationally. Read the full statement and signatories.
As a national nonprofit organization serving over 1400 colleges and universities across the country, we are one of a few national LGBTQ+ organizations living and working in the South. Campus Pride calls Charlotte, North Carolina our home and, as such, has always had a strong commitment to supporting the local community in our actions and as a voice for social justice.
“Campus Pride affirms and commits to our anti-racist work today and every day. Anti-racism work is LGBTQ+ work,” said Shane Windmeyer, Executive Director of Campus Pride and Charlotte community activist/leader. “Racial divides in Charlotte have been evident in the social and leadership circles within the LGBTQ+community since I came to this city. This statement is only the beginning to truly recognizing the harms of racism that exist within the LGBTQ+ community, in public policing and then doing something about it. The Charlotte LGBTQ+ community must focus further actions within the LGBTQ+ community before we can lead effectively. This statement begins to do that.”
In 2015, Campus Pride put into words its commitment and actions toward implementing anti-racist work, centering our organization around queer people of color and furthering racial justice within our organization, programs and services. The Campus Pride’s Anti-Racism Statement can be found on our About Us page online and reads:
Anti- Racism Statement:
Campus Pride believes anti-racism work is LGBTQ work, and as such identifies promoting anti- racism as an integral part of its mission. The rich and diverse voices and stories of people of color are important and often silenced. Campus Pride recognizes the liberation of people of color as central to dismantling all forms of oppression. In accordance with these values, Campus Pride commits to the following actions:
- Empowering and uplifting the voices of queer and trans students of color.
- Continuing our commitment to offering equitable access to Campus Pride resources and programs.
- Acknowledging and celebrating the accomplishments of queer and trans people of color
- Having a diverse board and staff (paid and volunteer) that is representative of the diverse students we serve.
- Standing in solidarity with queer and trans undocumented students and advocating for increased accessibility of higher education.
- Recognizing value and necessity of minority serving institutions (including Historically Black Colleges and Universities, Tribal Colleges, Hispanic Serving Institutions, and Asian American Serving Institutions) and supporting student organizing efforts on these campuses.
About Campus Pride
Campus Pride is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit, and the leading national educational organization for LGBTQ and ally college students and campus groups building future leaders and safer, more LGBTQ-friendly colleges and universities. The organization provides resources and services to thousands of college students and nearly 1400 campuses annually. Learn more online at CampusPride.org.