Building new campus facilities and renovating older facilities are huge projects with many intersecting interests, priorities, and requirements. When it comes to trans students, how do we foster and create campus facilities that are safe, inclusive, and comply with Title IX? This webinar will share strategies to develop restrooms, residence hall bathrooms, and locker rooms in recreational centers and athletic buildings that can address the needs of trans students, including an examination of social and political concerns and the financial cost. The experiences of several campuses will be discussed as case studies to help other colleges create trans-supportive facilities.
Wednesday, June 8, 2016 – 2-3:30 PM ET
Shane L. Windmeyer, M.S., Ed serves as the cofounder and executive director of Campus Pride. (Click here for full bio)
Genny Beemyn currently serves as the Director of the University of Massachusetts Amherst’s Stonewall Center. (Click here for full bio)
Marty Smith, Project Executive, A/E Design Design & Construction Management, UMass Amherst
- Better understand the impediments faced by trans students in using gendered facilities.
- Learn the legal requirements around trans students’ access to restrooms, shower rooms, and locker rooms.
- Learn the necessary practices, beyond the legal requirements, to develop trans-inclusive facilities.
- Better understand the process of identifying restrooms across a campus to be converted to all-gender facilities, the costs of reconfiguration, and how to present the information to campus administrators for funding.
- Hear how several campuses have sought to foster and create inclusive restrooms, shower rooms, and locker rooms and the obstacles faced in doing so.
Campus Pride is the leading national educational organization for LGBTQ and ally college students and campus groups building future leaders and safer, more LGBTQ-friendly colleges and universities. The organization provides resources and services to thousands of college students and nearly 1400 campuses annually. Learn more online at CampusPride.org