Are you a prospective student wondering what campuses have gender-inclusive housing? An administrator researching trans-inclusive health insurance models to implement on your campus? A parent looking for trans-friendly colleges and universities for your child? You’ve come to the right place! The Campus Pride Trans Policy Clearinghouse is the premier resource for transgender policies at colleges and universities. The clearinghouse is updated regularly by Dr. Genny Beemyn, a noted scholar on trans issues in higher education and the Director of the University of Massachusetts Amherst’s Stonewall Center.
Now you can search trans policies at colleges and universities across the United States (last modified 12/2/13):
- Colleges and Universities with Nondiscrimination Policies that Include Gender Identity/Expression
- Colleges and Universities that Cover Transition-Related Medical Expenses Under Student Health Insurance
- Colleges and Universities that Cover Transition-Related Medical Expenses Under Employee Health Insurance
- Colleges and Universities that Provide Gender-Inclusive Housing
- Colleges and Universities that Allow Students to Change the Name and Gender on Campus Records
- Colleges and Universities with a Trans-Inclusive Intramural Athletic Policy
To become a trans advocate on your campus, learn more about the Best Practices to Support Trans and Other Gender-Nonconforming Students and see how your campus scores on the Trans Checklist for Colleges and Universities. Also, check out these trans resources from other individuals and organizations. If you have any updates or edits, please contact Campus Pride at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Want to do more as a trans ally? Campus Pride challenges you to navigate your campus as if you are an incoming trans student. Consider the following:
1. Visit the Registrar, Student Health Services, Residence Life, etc.
2. Note potential roadblocks, concerns and issues you encounter
3. Actively work with staff and administrators to address these concerns.
4. Become a trans ally and help make your campus safer and more trans-friendly.
Meet the Clearinghouse Coordinator
Genny Beemyn is the Director of the University of Massachusetts Amherst’s Stonewall Center, a bisexual, gay, lesbian, queer and transgender educational resource center. Genny has published and spoken extensively on the experiences and needs of trans people, particularly the lives of gender-nonconforming students. Ze has written or edited eight books/journal issues, including special issues of the Journal of LGBT Youth on “Trans Youth” and “Supporting Transgender and Gender-Nonconforming Children and Youth” and a special issue of the Journal of Homosexuality on “LGBTQ Campus Experiences.” Beemyn’s most recent work, written with Sue Rankin, is The Lives of Transgender People, which was published by Columbia University Press in 2011. Ze’s forthcoming book is A Queer Capital: A History of LGBT Life in Washington, D.C. In addition to being the coordinator of the Clearinghouse, Beemyn is also an editorial board member of the Journal of LGBT Youth, the Journal of Bisexuality, the Journal of Homosexuality, and the Journal of Student Affairs Research and Practice. Beemyn has a Ph.D. in African American Studies and Master’s degrees in African American Studies, American Studies, and Higher Education Administration.